Saturday, June 21, 2014

2-Weeks post SLAD/R Surgery


My post-op doctor visit two days ago was great.  The Resident Doctor did the initial voice recording and sprayed that nasty stuff in my nose so she could put a scope/microphone down to my vocal cords.  She seemed very pleased. 

When the doctor came in he was also pleased with my progress.  I mentioned that the right side of my head, on my skull area, over my ear, is still hurting (though not much), he said it would get better with time, the pain is a type of “phantom nerve pain” much like someone who has phantom limb pain would experience.  Because of the nerve splicing they had to do the nerve to my earlobe was permanently cut, I will never have feeling in my right ear lobe.  This is rather strange, the Resident Doctor said putting earrings on might be tricky.  I doubt I’ll be wearing any, Honestly I would not know if it was on, off, poking me, or if I accidently poked it in a new hole.  No biggie less is better! 

It took 3-hours to get to Stanford and about that to get home, traffic was good and so it was a long day.  I did a lot of talking on Thursday and on Friday I was whispery. 

I am doing great with drinking water and actually took a sippy-type of cup with a straw, on the trip Thursday and I did not choke on it once.  I did have more phlegm than I have had on Thursday morning, and since I really think there is some connection to foods I eat, this time I cannot connect the dots.  Maybe it was just a case of the nerves with going to this doctor appointment, so I was glad I brought a box of tissue with me in the car. 

The doctor said that there are no restrictions on what I can eat, drink, or talking at this point.  He said to use my own judgment on what works for me.   

Thursday when I stopped at the store on the way home, a very young girl checking me out asked if I had been cut on my neck, she said it looked like I got slashed.  I told her I had surgery, she then said that it looked awful and she was watching me and worried that someone cut my neck.  You can imagine that I flipped the visor down to get to the mirror and looked at my neck when I got in the car.  Ha, I thought the scar was looking pretty good at this point! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment