Tuesday, July 15, 2014

5-1/2 Weeks under my belt!


It’s been 5-1/2 weeks since my SLAD/R surgery.  I thought I would address a few issues that had been discussed in an email from someone considering surgery.   

Over a year ago I had neck surgery, a discsectomy/fusion (ACDF), the incision in my neck was from one ear to the midpoint on my neck in the front, it took a full year for the incision to fade into the wrinkle of my neck.  In addition, because the neck has been cut, there was numbness around the incision area.  Just when I had the SLAD/R surgery the numbness was nearly gone, this was a full year later.  Lastly, the incision area always felt rather taut or had a full feeling as it was healing.  I almost felt as though I had a band around my neck or a turtleneck on all the time. 

These same sensations exist with the SLAD/R surgery.  It just takes time to heal.  Nerves do not heal over night, and if you have second thoughts about this surgery then it is probably not for you.  No matter what, this is major surgery, sure, you get your voice back, but it involves surgery and recovery that comes with issues and it is just not perfect.  The reinnervation, according to Dr. Damrose, takes a full year for the nerve function to work at a potential that is considered optimal.

The numbness, taut feeling on the neck, and pain I may have are so minor compared to what I gained to have the voice I have now that  I would not change a thing and I have no regrets.  I was in this 100% before surgery and am thrilled with the progress.  I am fully aware that this is the beginning and I will sound better as time goes on. 

I had 20+ years of Botox and never had injections that provided the quality of voice that I have now.  Some of you can get by with Botox and that is certainly an easier way to go versus surgery.     

Teaching has been very easy for me, I still use my voice amplifier and this works great for the volume in the room.  I still sound rather high pitched in the morning, my husband says I sound like a teenager, and my voice seems deeper in the evening.  I have no idea why this happens.  I want to add as a last note that I've had a few people call on the phone and ask to speak to me, they are quite surprised when they realize it IS me, one person the other night said I sounded like my younger daughter (age 25).  It is a good feeling to think the old me is returning!!
 

1 comment: